<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Kindling Flames
The Blog of GWU Education Policy Students

Too Esoteric for Words?

Monday, April 10, 2006

Apparently not. Per Eduwonk, interesting commentary piece on some of the scholarship on display at AERA this week:
Given the challenges facing our schools, and the fact that most of these researchers are supported and employed by public institutions, it might make sense for educational researchers to devote attention to analyzing public policy, improving teaching and learning, and addressing the practical concerns of parents and teachers.
A valid point. It's quite the paradox-- I'm sure most of the researchers Hess and LoGerfo cite would claim that their studies "work towards a praxis or social change purpose." Personally, I'd rather focus my attention on creating a system where all kids learn to read and write--talk about a social change!

3:22 PM :: ::

1 Comments:

  • True. I didn't check the brochure to see how many teacher/ or administrator/researchers presented at AERA. However, considering that teachers are busy teaching, and administrators are busy running schools, it doesn't surprise me if they don't have time to write academic papers.

    I know that the research/practitioner divide is something that we're both concerned about. But I also think that researchers should be able to address questions relevant to policy and practice at a conference that doesn't have many teachers or administrators themselves presenting.

    Research that takes place in schools and districts, asking relevant questions of teachers and administrators, doesn’t leave practitioners out of the question. Quite the opposite—it directly utilizes their experiences, and makes those experiences public in a way that otherwise would never happen.

    The problem, which Hess and LoGerfo point to, is that relevant questions generally aren’t sexy in academic circles. I struggle with this myself... the project I have considered the least intellectually interesting in my 3 years at my job is also the one that has the most practical value. Luckily, I’m discovering that there’s a different kind of satisfaction tied to producing something useful, something bigger than my own intellectual stimulation. But I worry that, as I look for doc programs, I’m going to have a hard time finding a place that will encourage me in doing even remotely relevant work. I fear that people would rather read and advise the “Ho’s No Mo.”

    By Blogger NMD, at May 24, 2006 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment
<< Home
from: :: permalink