<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Kindling Flames
The Blog of GWU Education Policy Students

Actions Speak Louder Than Cartoons

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

This morning, I watched the AFT's newly released cartoon musical pointing out the problems with NCLB (it even includes a sing along bouncing apple...no really, i'm serious) as an attempt to create changes to the federal law.

When thinking about what it takes to truly create large scale policy reform, you have to wonder if the AFT has the right formula. I mean, do you really picture Dr. King, Malcolm X, or Gandhi in the throes of the civil rights movement saying to their peers; "Don't you think a cartoon musical with singing animals would inspire a change in the hearts and minds of a country and get Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964?"

I don't think so.

Educating our children is serious business (which of all people, I know teachers know the most about). I agree with the AFT and their recommendations that No Child Left Behind needs work. We have a long way to go in figuring out quality assessments, closing the achievement gap, and making sure that all children are proficient in basic skills by 2014. These serious times call for serious actions, and we need a constant stream of advocacy, research, and debates that do not stop until we figure this whole thing out. The AFT's agenda, which has some good suggestions, gets lost in its ridiculous musical. And in my humble opinion, actions always speak louder than cartoons.

5:46 PM :: ::

2 Comments:

  • i haven't as of yet, but i know my boss is checking into it...i'll keep you posted if i hear anything:)

    By Blogger KF, at February 09, 2006 4:59 PM  


  • I'm torn-- I think the cartoon is really silly, but then again in my "isn't this a weird way to get your point across" musings, I've sent it to people that otherwise wouldn't know the AFT line on NCLB. The question is, I think, whether any of these people are going to take that message seriously, considering the fluffy packaging?

    By Blogger NMD, at February 13, 2006 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment
<< Home
from: :: permalink